Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lanterns and Soccer

We had several new adventures this weekend. Among them were checking out the preview of the Lantern festival and going to another international soccer game....the last before the World Cup.

Pt.1
On Saturday we headed down to Insa-dong (an "uptown" area popular with tourists, which also has some historic sights). Buddhas birthday is next Friday and the city is gearing up for some serious celebration. This past Sunday was the traditional Lantern Festival but since we were planning to go to a soccer game we went to Insa-dong for the Lantern Festival Preview on Saturday.

We found ourselves in a sea of Koreans and tourists, but were able to get close enough to get some relatively decent pictures. It was really cool to see some of the traditional dances and the variety of "Lantern Floats" that were made for the parade. We were even treated to a dance that portrayed the birth of Buddha :)(who happened to be a tiny gold statue). All over Seoul they have hung lanterns on the streets. Nearly every "main" street has colorful lanterns lining it.

Pt.2
On Sunday we went to a soccer game with our friends Peter and Cindy. The last "friendly" international match before the World Cup. It was Ecuador vs. Korea. We have really enjoyed going to games in the past but this is only the second international match we've gone to. Being that it was Ecuador (who did not qualify for the World Cup) who was playing Korea, Jordan and I of course rooted for Ecuador. As we got to the stadium, we were almost the only ones not wearing red (Korea's team color). I began to feel a little self conscious...but I wasn't about to back down. :)

We sat high up, in a section where there were some very "patriotic" Koreans. At one point I shouted "Vamos Ecuador!!" Immediately the drunk guy in front of us and his friends turned around. I smiled ....heehee. He then realized I was wearing a Superman T-shirt (the only thing I had that was blue, red and yellow to match Ecuador's' flag). He then said "Oh superwoman....Ecuador!" and turns to Jordan "Oh superwoman boyfriend...I'll arm wrestle you!!" HAHAHA. So as I am dying of laughter Jordan insisted that he didn't want to arm wrestle. :) Then the guys announces to our entire section that we are cheering for Ecuador....this brought on many gasps and stares from the people around us. oops!


Meanwhile....Peter and Cindy who were with us but cheering for Korea...tried to point out their Korean jerseys saying "We are for Korea!" but alas....they were foreigners just like us....so it was assumed that we must be all cheering for Ecuador together and they were roped in with us. We all had a good laugh (the Koreans too) and later in the game, the guys in front of us gave us a "gift" of Korean alcohol. Then one of the guys wanted to have his picture taken with us. Our new "friends" left as the last seconds of the game were finishing because alas....Ecuador lost 2-0. :(

Afterward however they had some Korean pop singers come out onto the field and do a mini show. Then they brought out the whole Korean team and sent them off to the World Cup with fireworks and well wishes. It was quite the experience to be at that final game. Between the the Lanterns, fireworks, new friends and nearly causing a scene at the soccer game....we had a good weekend. :)

edit: at the lantern festival the MC kept trying to tell us to give the performers "a big hand" but instead she would repeatedly say "welcome them with your big hands!" I didn't know whether to laugh or be offended...haha :)

3 comments:

  1. Your experience at the game sounded like it was not only fun but low key compared to what would happen here in Brazil. Besides just wait until the World Cup begins. Of course everyone knows Brazil will win this World Cup. Em busca ao Hexa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ya it was pretty fun....and I'm certainly glad it stayed low key! the World Cup will be SWEET, we are super excited! we haven't really decided who we want to win yet but for Jordan's sake....CHI-CHI-CHI-LE-LE-LE! VIVA CHILE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that guy in front of you looks pretty toasted. :) I can't wait for the World Cup to begin. We're definitely rooting for Chile!!! Though, I wish I could hear the Chile games with the Chilean broadcasters. It's hilarious how they criticize their mistakes and then make up all kinds of excuses when they lose. :)

    ReplyDelete