I teach a class of young students who are about 9 years old or so. They are a very rowdy but fun class. I teach them four times a week and on Tuesdays we do "science class". These science "experiments" are usually more like art class but they are supposed to encourage learning English. Unfortunately, my kids are very much beginners and usually don't understand the name of the experiment, much less how to do it. We have a lot of fun though and they enjoy trying to figure it out. I, on the other hand run around like a crazy person, essentially trying to do all 12 projects before we run out of time.
Today our "experiment" was to make 3-D glasses. Each kid was given a paper glasses cut-out and a transparent red and a transparent blue square. Their task was to cut out the eye shapes and glue them onto the glasses. Much to the disappointment of the students the glasses had no ear hooks only a mini one on one side so the students had to hold them up with one hand. Don't get me wrong though, the students tried valiantly to get them to stay on with only one mini ear hook. :) Class was winding down and I was trying to help the kids who had cut their eye pieces too small and so the red and blue pieces were falling right through the eye holes.
I have one student named Star (pictured in the blue and yellow sweatshirt on the right), who frequently gets "creative" with the experiments. Sometimes his creativeness destroys the experiment but occasionally it just makes it different. Today, as I was frantically trying to help the other kids, I noticed he was just finishing gluing his glasses together and they were looking great. The next thing I know, I turn around and Star has his glasses on. He doesn't seem to be holding them with either hand though. I take a closer look and realize he has glued all around the glasses and stuck them on his face. He has effectively glued the glasses to his face! He just stared at me with a HUGE proud smile on his face and I couldn't help but laugh. These are the moments that make my time teaching super fun!
i just had to leave a comment because i read the quote about your eyes, and well, it really made me laugh! oh good times.
ReplyDeleteGluing things to your face...man. Way to teach these kids about the American way.
ReplyDeletehahahaha thanks Luke, those were good times! :) and Ben...I did NOT teach him that!
ReplyDelete