There's a lady who stands in the middle of the sidewalk on my way to work. She has a handful of pamphlets for the local Presbyterian church. She stands there for hours bowing and offering a paper to anyone who walks by. 99% of those passing her just ignore her or say something rude. But she persists, and I see her there a few times a week, time after time. She's been doing it longer than we have been here and I have only once seen someone stop and talk to her. I used to take the paper when she handed them to me until it felt like too much of a waste, then I awkwardly said no, then a few times I shamefully ignored her and walked on, adding to the rejection she receives from everyone else. I mean, was I really in so much of a hurry that I couldn't pause and smile and take the paper, or explain that I already have a church?
Today I caught her eye before she could approach me and smiled and said hello. She offered me a paper, and still smiling I said no, but tried to give her encouragement in my limited Korean. Mostly I just communicated with pointing and a "thumbs up". (It's so hard to say what you want to say when you can't speak their language).
I think this will be my approach from now on, because this woman has a faith that's stronger than all of that rejection heaped on itself. She goes out and stands on that sidewalk time after time and humbly offers strangers an invitation that could change their life, knowing the majority will look down on her for it. And I can't help but ask myself, would I have the courage to do that?
This one is reason #1164 why you're great.
ReplyDelete