Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Less Glamorous Side.....

Although there are many wonderful things about living in Korea, there are some that are not so pleasant. Seoul has an old and less than stellar sewer system. This means that when walking down the street you are guaranteed to walk into a cloud of wafting rotting sewer smell at least once, usually more. This is true whether you are walking one block or ten.

Also, generally speaking Koreans love to spit. There is spit in the elevator, spit in the subway and most definitely spit on the street (in winter it's easy to slip on). It's kinda gross to be walking on the street and have the guy next to you clear his throat and hock a huge loogie on the the sidewalk. I've had several near misses.

Today though, I saw something that took the cake. There's a vegetable and fruit stand near our apartment. Behind the store is where they package the produce into smaller bags. There's an old lady who sits there most of the day and gets things ready to sell. As I walked home from school today on a break I saw her packaging lettuce into bags. I then heard her loudly clear phlegm from the recesses her throat and spit on the ground in between two open boxes. Spit went flying. Needless to say, I probably won't be shopping there for my produce...ever. ewww. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment