Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hey! That's mine!

I had an interesting experience today on the subway. My friend Cindy and I decided to go out looking for English books and a Starbucks in an area of town called "Itaewon". We found some good books and had lunch and decided to grab our Starbucks for the ride home.

I had been sitting on the subway with my iced latte for about 5 minutes when a man came up. He mumbled something and then tapped my Starbucks cup. I moved it away and said "no, thanks"; thinking that he was offering to throw it away for me (as has occurred once before). He then started grabbing at it. I kept saying "no" and moving my cup away. He stepped away for a minute and then came back. This time I thought ahead and moved my cup out of reach. He still managed to get it though and this time he gripped it tight and started pulling. As we were involved in this "tug-of-war" I realized the cup was about to explode....so I let go. The man then went to the corner and drank the rest of my latte!!!

I looked around and all eyes were on me and my friend. I just sat there looking sad and half glaring at the man who stole my latte; realizing by this point that he was probably 'a few fruit loops shy of a full bowl'. The whole time the woman next to me was tsk tsk-ing in disapproval. The old man across from me made a crazy sign and pointed at him. They just wanted me to know that something was off and they didn't approve. It was still rather uncomfortable on that train.

After the man had finished my latte he then walked back over to me and chucked the cup in my lap.....despite my protests. As if it wasn't bad enough that he stole my really expensive latte and drank it! As much as I wanted to leave the cup there, I had to pick it up and take it with me so that I didn't look (to other people who didn't witness the incident) like the crusty American who doesn't pick up her trash.

In the end as grumpy and embarrassed as I was, I realized....I probably didn't really need that coffee anyway, and at least I have another crazy subway story. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment